The official definition of “Martial Arts” are various sports or skills of East Asian descent that were originally meant for self-defense. Karate, taekwondo, kung fu, judo, and jiu-jitsu are a few of the most common ones. Martial arts have been proven to help people of all ages boost their self-control and focus for thousands of years.
But, can martial arts benefit your child? At our dojo we see children of all ages with all areas of development and progress, we have had many parents over the decades we have been serving Murfreesboro come to us to help their children with self-confidence, self-control, focus, weight loss and more. We have seen amazing changes in children and many children stay in martial arts into adulthood. We have many students currently that started as children and are still practicing their craft well into adulthood. So let’s talk about some benefits your child might see from taking up a martial arts practice.
1. Martial arts are sports that can be a good fit for any child, especially children that think differently or have learning difficulties. Martial arts focus on individual growth and not on team competition.
2. If you have children that high energy, especially kids that love to play fight karate is a safe way to get out extra energy. Kids are able to burn off their energy in a way that will benefit them physically, emotionally, and mentally.
3. Negativity is not tolerated in martial arts classes. Students have to show respect for their instructor and peers. This will show your children that everyone should be treated with kindness and respect inside and outside of the dojo.
4. Martial arts help children set attainable goals. It takes a while to eventually get to the black belt in karate, but each time your child earns a different colored belt, they will feel a sense of accomplishment. This is a self-esteem booster each step of the way for you child and help keep them motivated.
5. Regularly taking martial arts classes can help your child develop a greater attention span. Martial arts require attention to detail and to be present in the moment. This skill can be applied in school and your child will be able to maintain their focus longer and better. Over the years parents have spoken to us about this one and how teachers will start to notice the positive changes in academic behavior after starting a martial arts classes with us.
These are just a short list of the many benefits a child or adult can benefit from studying karate. When you ask someone who has been practicing martial arts for many years, you’ll get many different answers each time on how it’s impacted their life the most — that is one of the great things about practicing martial arts. It can help everyone work on their own individual needs, and some that they didn’t even realize that they had. If you have a child that you’re considering starting in karate we would love to talk to you. We have two convenient locations in Murfreesboro one of north broad street and one on business campus drive. Give us a call to discuss a first free lesson and any special we may have going on at the time for new students — 615-893-6003